Tuesday 21 August 2007

Career Path

Changing a career path is not an easy decision, especially when it is as radical as my decision needs to be.

Over the past two years I have been embarking on the journey to become a Lawyer. Law degree, applications to Law firms, and much more. Every decision was made with a view to following this legal career path. Although I always had in my mind that if that failed then I would have a back up of teaching Maths. A subject I had always enjoyed and doing something I half did in school.

Now I am at a crossroads. I have reached a point where much as I like Law I am unsure that it is for me. I have been analysing what it is that I want from my career. Is it to earn lots of money while doing something "interesting" or is it doing something that you enjoy (and always have done) with a view to making a difference. At this moment either a career in Law or Teaching could take one role or the other.

The next few months will be make or break for my legal career. Depending on how well the start of my final year at Uni goes and also how I find my week with the CPS will influence my decision one way or the other. No matter what I will be completing this final year, BUT, I may not be applying this year for the LPC I may apply for the PGCE.

November will be my decision point. I want to have made my mind up one way or the other by the end of November so I can start my applications before Christmas. My CPS week is at the end of October, I will then talk to a careers advisor and get their advice. Then by December I hope to have started my applications.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From what I've seen of job prospects, unless you already have parents/good contacts in law you stand a better chance of employment as a teacher. A law degree can, however, get you an entry into some other jobs.....